Does your dog need nappies? Wearing diapers is perhaps unknown to most dog owners but Pet Problems Solved predicts that we will see more of this practice in the future. Here’s your dog nappies guide: everything you need to know about dog diapers…
Dog Nappies Guide – Everything You Need to Know About Dog Diapers
There are many reasons why dogs have trouble holding pee. Some of the reasons include hormonal imbalance (especially when female dogs are on heat), age and illness (diabetes, urinary tract disorders and prostate dysfunction). If you notice that there is a sudden change in your dog’s ability to hold pee, then you need to schedule a visit to the vet immediately for examination. One temporary measure that the vet may recommend is purchasing dog nappies.
So What are Dog Nappies?
Dog nappies are a piece of synthetic disposable material that is wrapped around a dog private parts to help retain urine. Dog nappies are similar to those that human kids use. The only major difference is that dog nappies have a hole that accommodates the tail. Dog nappies are available in two versions: male and female. There are usually worn around the body like a wide soft belt. Dog nappies are also available in two different varieties including washable and disposable nappies. They are made from super soft materials that are highly absorbent and don’t stick to the dog’s fur.
A brief history of dog nappies (diapers)
Dog Nappies were invented by Dana Brewington, a former federal lawyer. Dana is passionate about pets and was frustrated when his dog was unable to hold its pee after suffering from a short illness. Out of that frustration, she came up with a brilliant idea of creating premium disposable dog diapers. Dana made this discovery while living in his home is Chevy Chase, Montgomery country, Maryland. Although she was a lawyer, Dana had sewn since she was a girl. In fact, at some point, she used to make neckties for a popular Washington TV anchor. Through research, trial and error, she was finally able to perfect her dog nappy design. She later resigned from her well-paying job to focus on her passion and that is designing dog diapers. Dana used online marketing and social media platforms to popularize her new invention.
Benefits of Dog Nappies
- They provide temporary relief – Just like humans, pets are usually very uncomfortable when they are not able to control their pee. Dog nappies help to provide temporary relief. It enables the dog to live a normal life just like others before a permanent solution to the problem is found.
- That are easy to use – Dog nappies are simple and very easy to use. You don’t have to go through a special training in order to know how to use them. All that you need to do is follow few simple and straightforward instructions given.
- They are available in different types – Dog nappies are available in two different types: male and female. This means that you don’t have to depend on guesswork when choosing one for your dog. They are also available in two different versions. Disposable and washable version. You can choose one that suits the needs of your dog.
Uses of nappies
- Urinary incontinence in dogs: Most pet owners usually think that incontinence is a behavioral issue but that is not the case. Incontinence can be caused by many factors including bladder problems, urinary tract infection, weakened urinary sphincter, diabetes and bacterial infection. Even a well behaved dog can suffer from urinary incontinence. Although there are drugs and surgeries that can help treat these conditions, the best temporary solution is using dog nappy.
- Elderly dogs: Elderly dogs can sometimes lose control of some bodily functions including defecation and urination. Dogs that are older than 11 years can suffer from canine cognitive dysfunction, a disease that is similar to Alzheimer in humans. Dog nappies can help the dog before a permanent solution to the problem is found.
- When training the dog: Dog nappies can also be used as a training tool. Most pet owners use dog nappies along with different types of collars to potty train their dogs. It helps to prevent the dog from peeing in the house.
- Used on female dogs when on heat: Female dogs pee a lot when they are on heat because of hormonal changes. Dog nappies can help prevent the dog from peeing all over the house
About the author:
Sam Taylor is father of 2 beautiful daughters and a pet aficionado. I enjoy reading & writing about pets on Tech Tails Australia
Dogs and Diapers: Tips for using dog nappies and how to keep them on your dog
How to Pick a Puppy From a Litter: Characteristics to Look For
Coconut oil for dogs
The Importance of Maintaining a Healthy Weight for Your Dog and How to Do It
What is CRISPR and How Can It Help Make Better Dogs?