Would you like to contribute to Better with Pets?
Better with Pets is Dr Jo Righetti, animal behaviourist’s blog about pets and their people?
Guest posts and contributions are now welcome. Please ensure that you meet the following criteria:
- When you submit an article*, please include:
- A title and an author name. (If you do not wish to be named, you must state the reason.)
- Approx 300-800 words. (Longer articles will be considered upon request.)
- A one or two sentence bio about yourself and/or your organisation/company. A link to your website is acceptable in the bio (Please do not link in the body of your article. If you wish to insert links, please see sponsorship page.)
Without the former, the article will not be accepted.
The following are optional:
- Photos which include pets and the points that you are making in your article. If you do not supply any pictures, photos will be supplied within your article. Horizontal photo format is preferred.
Please supply photos separately from the article, although you may indicate where you would like them placed within the article.
A photo of yourself may be included, if desired.
- Suggested keywords, if desired.
- You may submit an idea, rather than a finished article, if desired.
Please submit all articles to firstname.lastname@example.org
*1. Please note that submission of an article does not equal automatic publication. Often articles will need to be revised by yourself or editors or, if deemed inappropriate, will not be published at all.
Many submissions are received. Only some are accepted. You may not hear for a week and your article may not be published for several weeks. Priority is given to sponsored articles.
Once published your article will be shared on social media and in member emails. Please sign up to receive emails (on right) or join us on social networks.
*2. Once published, your article may be quoted in other publications. While effort will be made to notify you, this may not always be possible. Dr Jo Righetti reserves the right to include your article in future publications e.g. digital pet ebooks.
- 2. Overall, we are looking for unique viewpoints, personal accounts or original research. Articles which are favoured include:
- Articles that are unique. We do not repeat topics. Check the website prior to submitting an article.
- Articles which take the premise that pets are good for us, that life is better with pets.
- Articles featuring pet photos and/or videos (you must have authority to publish these). This is a very visual blog and all articles must have photos.
- Personal or unique viewpoints on pets – how your pets has helped you, pets at work, travelling with pets, adapting your home for pets etc
- Articles which interpret the latest scientific research (incl student work) on pets.
- News articles about pets.
- Articles about pets other than cat and dogs.
- Articles that list e.g. 5 best ways, 7 white cats.
- Articles which are relevant around the world. Take variations in pet ownership into account and appropriate rules and regulations.
3. Articles which are not favoured include:
- Expert articles (veterinary, health or caring for a pet) unless you are an expert e.g. vet. Medical advice will not be published without inclusion of veterinary advice.
- Behaviour articles, unless you have conducted the behavioural research yourself or have a unique viewpoint or personal story to share.
- Breed articles
- Product articles
- Infographics (very few infographics are accepted)
- ‘How to’ articles. This is not a Pets 101 site. It is a blog (think personal).
- An article that has been published elsewhere.
- Those with links to other websites (one link to your own site is acceptable in your bio).
- Articles that are overt advertising material. (If you wish to submit a sponsored post, there is a charge for this. Please see sponsorship details.)
- Articles with poor grammar or English. Have someone read your article prior to submission.
4. Charges for articles
No charges are made for publication of blog posts. However, you must not include links within the body of your article, otherwise charges will apply. Please see sponsorship for more details. One link from your short bio is acceptable and does not incur any fee.
5. Suggested articles
The following articles have been requested and will be favoured for publication. This list changes regularly so check back in soon…
- How to groom your dog
- How to groom your cat
- Designer pets – why buy posh!
- Best books for pet lovers
- Best apps for pet lovers
- Fashion for the pet lover
- Why have a snake as a pet
- Tips for keeping a marine aquarium
- What my pet has taught me
- How my pet helped me cope with a major life event
- The most popular pet videos – or ones that should be!
Here are our previous posts