Kids and pets go together. I am often asked what pets people should buy for their kids. Here’s my top ten (in no particular order). Remember that every pet needs care and every parent needs to be prepared to deliver ALL of that care.
- Hermit crabs – great pets for kids to set up and watch in their bedrooms. All you need is a tank, water, shells and food (from pet stores).Watch them change shells.
- Goldfish –again, a tank, hiding spots and fish food is all you need. Once kids get the hang of this you can move on to tropical or even marine tanks.
3. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel – great indoor, gentle (relatively) playmate for children. Will be their best friend.
4. Ferret – for the older child, an energetic powerhouse of activity who can sleep in their cage while kids are at school. Check Australian State laws.
5. Ragdoll cat – great for quieter kids who like to have something to cuddle and sit on their lap.
6. Budgie – fun teaching to speak and great all round companion
7. Labrador – for families who want a larger dog who blends in with their lifestyle.
8. Chicken (or duck) – can be tamed, even brought indoors but best keep more than one
9. Mice – great to watch them interact (get the same sex) and can be handled gently. Can try a rat too(not in same cage as mice, however).
10.Moggie – cats make great companions for all ages and playful kids and kittens are made for each other.
Do you have a pet that you would add to this list?
And, in case you are wondering, yes I do have kids and pets myself. In fact, I’ve owned all of the animals, mentioned here (although not the particular breeds mentioned). My kids love their pets and, as a parent, it is a joy to watch their interactions even though I do most of the work! More on kids ‘n’ pets here.
More readingBudgie facts