We all want our pets to be safe in the great outdoors or in the confines of our backyard. Yet some of the most common plants are actually toxic to our cats and dogs. Chelsea Mull tells us know some of the most poisonous plants for dogs and cats to avoid…
Running through the grass on a warm Summer’s day is a pet’s paradise. After being stuck inside all Winter, your furry friend is finally able to stretch their legs and explore the outdoors. But sometimes, this freedom can be dangerous to their health. Plants in particular can pose a major risk. Certain plants, both indoor and outdoor, can actually be poisonous to cats and dogs.
So, how can you protect your pet from these toxins?
With basic knowledge of preventative healthcare for pets, you can learn which plants might make your animal sick. This way, you can remove them from your yard and home. The following are some of the most common plants that are actually dangerous to your cat or dog.
- Mushrooms: You would not pick a mushroom off the ground and eat it, but your pet does not have this same sense. For pets, symptoms of mushroom poisoning include vomiting, abdominal pain, weakness, diarrhea, uncoordinated movements, and even a coma. If your pet does eat a mushroom, pick a sample of the fungus and put it in a plastic bag. This way, your vet can identify whether it is dangerous or not.
- Daffodils: These pretty flowers may pop up in your garden every spring, but they can be toxic if your pet takes a curious bite. These plants cause symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and cardiac arrhythmias. If you have a dog or an outdoor cat, it might be best to plant different flowers.
- Marijuana: If you enjoy marijuana from time to time, keep it away from your pet. The THC inside the plant can be poisonous to animals. If they ingest the plant directly, or eat a food that contains marijuana, they can experience low heart rate, respiratory depression, low blood pressure, lethargy, coma, and seizures. Even secondhand smoke can cause these symptoms, so ingest with care.
- Lilies: These flowers are highly toxic to pets and should not be in your yard. And this goes for all species of lilies. These flowers can cause fatal kidney failure and additional complications. If you notice that your pet is not eating, vomiting, or drooling, they might have lily poisoning.
- Tulips: The bulbs of this flower are highly toxic in particular, but ingestion of any part of the plant can be dangerous. Ingesting a tulip can cause diarrhea, vomiting, drooling and depression.
While these are some of the most common pet health dangers, other toxic plants include poison ivy, clematis, oldeader, american holly or winterberry, azaleas, and sago palm. With the right preventative care and knowledge of healthcare for pets, you can protect your furry friend from poisoning.
Of course, if you do suspect that they have ingested a poisonous plant, bring your dog to your vet or animal hospital immediately. They should be able to treat your pet and monitor them until the symptoms pass.
Your pet is a cherished part of your family, so their healthcare is likely a top priority. By taking the time to clear your home and yard of toxins, you can gift them many years of running through the yard. And there are few things more joyful than that.
About the Author
Chelsea Mull is a digital marketing manager at PetFirst Pet Insurance, where her office mates often have four-legs and get paid with treats and belly rubs. At home, her 9-year-old Shih Tzu rules the roost while enjoying his favorite activity of napping on the back of the couch, and allowing Mull, her husband and two children to cohabitate alongside him.