Dr Jo discusses her on-going search for pet insurance… and needs some help!
Are you an Australian insurance company? Can you help Dr Jo & other pet owners?
Are you a pet owner? Do you have pet insurance and love it?
Pet insurance update
As many of you know, I have been researching pet insurance for quite some time now. Thanks to those of you who contributed your thoughts and experiences about pet insurance for your pet. Now, with the addition of 3 new kittens (Earth, Wind & Fire), it is time for me to revisit, research and take out pet insurance…
Pet insurance is worth having…
It seems to me that the general concensus is that most of us think pet insurance is worth having. A lot of us, however, including me, have still not taken insurance policies out. After diabetes, thyroid and several tick episodes, I really did need it. Silly me!
Why we delay taking out pet insurance
The excuses we come up with include:
- I’ll save the money myself. Sure, we could be sensible and put money aside in our own bank accounts (or under the mattress – for the dog or cat to find and chew!!), for the day that our pet needs treatment. But how many of us actually do this? Not me!
- My pet is too young/ too old/ too healthy
- I’ll just wait until I think my pet might get sick (can we ever tell?!)
- My vet will look after me. (It was when my vet told me that she had pet insurance, I realised that it was time for me to have it too.)
Warning – skip this paragraph if spending large sums of money upsets you!
I totalled up what we spent over Leo’s illness and Ginger’s treatment and it came to over A$25,000. Wow – what we could have done with that money (European holiday comes to mind!). Not that I grudge spending this on my pets. I love them. They are family. Pets are priceless.
Finding the best pet insurance
This time, I am determined, I will find the best insurance for my furry family. Three healthy kittens and one Chilli dog (7 years old). Who knows what the future will bring. Accidents and illness can strike at any time and dental treatments are a necessity.
We need help!
So if you are like me and still considering insurance for your canine companion or feline friend, stay in touch and we’ll find out more for you.
If you are a pet insurance company, please let us know why we should go with you.
- Pet insurance: Your thoughts and experiences
- Goodbye Leo
- Goobye Ginger
- Tick tickA nose for great cover: What to look out for when purchasing pet insurance
- Pets are priceless