Christmas is a time for indulgence – for humans! Our pets, however, do not fare well with the rich foods that we may indulge in and some of our favourites can even be fatal for our cats and dogs.
There are a number of common foods that can cause potentially fatal health complications for your pet.
Foods to avoid include:
- Chocolate – toxic to dogs and cats, even in small quantities
- Nutmeg – one of the lesser known poisonous foods. Dogs can suffer from tremors, seizures, issues with the nervous system and even death.
- Avocadoes – contains a dangerous toxin which can damage the heart, lungs and tissue of many different animals
- Turkey skin, pork crackling, sausages and fatty meats – can lead to inflammation of the pancreas due to high fat content
- Onions and garlic – can cause gastric irritation and anaemia if they are consumed in large quantities
- Grapes and raisins – can cause acute kidney failure
- Macadamia nuts – can be toxic to dogs. Symptoms will likely occur within 12 hours and can include vomiting, hyperthermia and elevated heart rate.
- Others – include dairy products, raw eggs, mushrooms, raw fish, citrus fruit, green potatoes and large quantities of tomatoes or salt.
If you suspect your pet has eaten something toxic you should contact your veterinarian immediately.
Your pet will love some good quality treats and of course all the pressies you can give them!
Enjoy Christmas with your pets and keep one another safe!